A Landscape Architecture Blog

Saturday 21 April 2012

Portland Place Materiality

I've been trying to process the materiality in Portland Place... this is a crude attempt to summerise my thoughts.  Reading the photo's from top to bottom this is about mega to macro - landscape to detail. I'm interested in the elements that make up the landscape, the layers that build the 3D scene.  Moreover, the macro elements that make the landscape 4 dimensional... surfaces you can touch, smell, hear and effect - just like the bottom image (the glass on the new BBC building) that captures my reflection.  Actually, I'm in the door knob shot too!  I like the unambiguous palette, the regimented symmetry and austere facades - perhaps this is why I'm exploring design concepts that go beyond the surfaces we can see, i.e. underground.

No comments:

Post a Comment